EU – Individual users should be allowed to take US tech giants to court for breaching landmark EU rules aimed at curbing their power, Privacy International, pan-European consumer group BEUC and a number of academics said on Tuesday.
The call by the coalition of 31 groups and academics comes as EU lawmakers and EU countries thrashed out the final points of the Digital Markets Act (DMA) proposed by EU antitrust chief Margrethe Vestager just over a year ago before it can become law.
The draft DMA sets out a list of dos and don’ts for online gatekeepers, in effect targeting Apple, Alphabet unit Google, Facebook parent Meta, Amazon and Microsoft.
It only allows business users to sue violating companies.
“The DMA must enable users, both individually and collectively, to bring enforcement actions for violation of DMA rules before national courts,” the group said in an open letter to EU institutions.
While EU lawmakers are open to the idea, EU countries have so far ignored the demand.
The coalition also urged lawmakers and EU countries to let consumer bodies and representatives of civil society take part in processes set out under the draft rules so that their needs would be reflected in the Commission’s decisions on the tech giants.
Other signatories of the open letter include US-based Center for Digital Democracy and the Consumer Federation of America, the Civil Liberties Union for Europe, European Digital Rights and academics from the University of Oxford, the Vienna University of Economics and Business and the University of Amsterdam.
EU: users should be allowed to sue US tech giants under EU rules, civil groups say

Latest from Blog
Di Souad Sbai Per oltre quarantotto ore, televisioni e grandi testate nazionali, comprese RaiNews, la Repubblica
«L’obbiettivo è trasformare la conoscenza medica in un bene comune». Appuntamento di alto rilievo istituzionale al
Serata storica all’Eurovision Song Contest 2026: la Bulgaria ha conquistato per la prima volta il celebre
“Alla fine, non sapevo molto dei dettagli di questa storia prima di iniziare il mio lavoro
Marocco e Nigeria vogliono firmare entro il 2026 l’accordo per avviare il progetto del gasdotto Africa-Atlantico,
Si è conclusa a Marrakech la 26ª edizione della “Caftan Week”, manifestazione dedicata alla valorizzazione del
Il Parlamento iracheno ha approvato il nuovo governo guidato da Ali Al-Zaidi, il più giovane premier
Il progetto strategico del Marocco di diventare, entro il 2030, il primo Paese africano capace di
Il Marocco rafforza il proprio posizionamento nella filiera globale dell’idrogeno verde con il lancio a Casablanca
Esperti indipendenti delle Nazioni Unite per i diritti umani hanno espresso forte preoccupazione per quella che