Facebook parent Meta Platforms removed a network of fake accounts that originated in Iran and targeted Instagram users in Scotland with content supporting Scottish independence, the company’s investigators said on Thursday.
The network used fake accounts to pose as locals in England and Scotland, posting photos and memes about current events and criticism of the United Kingdom’s government, Meta said.
The accounts posted commentary about Scottish independence and organized their content around common hashtags promoting the cause, though they at times misspelled them, the company said. The accounts also posted about football and UK cities, likely to make the fictitious personas seem more authentic.
The network used photos of media personalities and celebrities from the UK and Iran as well as profile pictures likely created through AI techniques, Meta said.
In a referendum on Scottish independence in 2014, Scots voted 55 percent-45 percent to remain in the United Kingdom, but both Brexit and the British government’s handling of the COVID-19 crisis have bolstered support for independence among Scots and demands for a second vote.
Meta said its investigation found links to individuals in Iraq, including people with a background in teaching English as a foreign language.
It said the operation had some connections with a small Iran-based network it previously removed in December 2020, which mostly targeted Arabic, French and English-speaking audiences using fake accounts, but did not provide further details on who might be behind the activity.
“We’ve seen a range of operations coming from Iran over the last few years,” said Ben Nimmo, Meta’s global threat intelligence lead for influence operations, in a press briefing. “It’s not a monolithic environment.”
The social media company said it had removed eight Facebook accounts and 126 Instagram accounts as part of this network in December for violating its rules against coordinated inauthentic behavior.
Meta removes Iran-based fake accounts targeting Instagram users in Scotland

Latest from Blog
Il Dipartimento Pari Opportunità Nazionale della Lega, guidato dall’On. Souad Sbai annuncia “Ponte Sicuro 72 ore”,
Di Souad Sbai Ci sono lingue che sono molto più di uno strumento per comunicare. Dentro
Le autorità pubbliche del Marocco hanno adottato tutte le misure necessarie per contrastare qualsiasi tentativo di
Il 10 agosto 2026 la governatrice del Massachusetts Maura Healey ha firmato la legge H.5595, che
La Colombia ha annunciato il riconoscimento della sovranità del Marocco sul Sahara Occidentale, segnando una nuova
La presidente della Commissione europea, Ursula von der Leyen, ha elogiato la cooperazione tra Marocco e
La gestione dei flussi migratori rappresenta una responsabilità condivisa tra Paesi di origine, transito e destinazione
L’ondata di ingressi irregolari registrata negli ultimi giorni a Ceuta sarebbe stata preceduta da un’intensa campagna
Il libro, a firma Alessandro Bertoldi (Curcio Editore), propone una riflessione sulle nuove minacce che gravano
“Osservo che è un principio applicato in molti paesi europei e in alcuni stati a maggioranza