The top US Air Force general in the Mideast said Saturday that American airmen would continue to be stationed in the region even as military planners consider competition with China and Russia as Washington’s next major challenge.
Speaking to journalists ahead of the Dubai Airshow, Lt. Gen. Gregory Guillot acknowledged that presence “could adjust” after the US withdrawal from Afghanistan in August. The US Air Force operates a major base in nearby Qatar, which oversaw operations in Afghanistan, as well as Iraq and Syria.
“But I don’t see any scenario where the United States does not have an important role,” Guillot said.
Guillot’s comments come as tensions remain high between Iran and the US after years of confrontations following then-President Donald Trump’s decision to unilaterally withdraw America from Tehran’s nuclear deal with world powers. Israel meanwhile is suspected of launching a series of attacks targeting Iran’s atomic program.
As talks over the deal remain stalled, Iran elected a hard-line protege of the country’s supreme leader as president and has itself seized vessels at sea and is suspected of launching drone attacks.
Guillot several times declined to directly attribute recent drone attacks in the region to Iran, though he acknowledged the rising number of such assaults in the region.
“The collaborative defense of multiple countries, you know, in the region is going to be our key to detecting those and staying one step ahead of the threat as it evolves,” he said after appearing at the Dubai International Air Chiefs’ Conference.
Russia is expected to display its Sukhoi Su-75 Checkmate fighter jet at the Dubai Airshow this week. It’s a direct competitor to the American F-35 fighter, which the United Arab Emirates has been trying to buy since diplomatically recognizing Israel last year. That sale has slowed under President Joe Biden’s administration.
Asked about the Checkmate, Guillot said he hoped that US allies and partners would use equipment that would be “interoperable” with the American military. He said buying the Russia fighter “absolutely” would affect that.
During his presentation, Guillot displayed a graphic that included the Israeli flag among others in the region. The American military now considers Israel as falling under US Central Command due to the recent recognition deals. Bahrain and the UAE just conducted a joint drill with the US Navy and Israel in the Red Sea.
Guillot said air drills with Israel and those nations could happen as well.
Air Force official says US to maintain presence in Mideast

Latest from Blog
Di Souad Sbai Per oltre quarantotto ore, televisioni e grandi testate nazionali, comprese RaiNews, la Repubblica
«L’obbiettivo è trasformare la conoscenza medica in un bene comune». Appuntamento di alto rilievo istituzionale al
Serata storica all’Eurovision Song Contest 2026: la Bulgaria ha conquistato per la prima volta il celebre
“Alla fine, non sapevo molto dei dettagli di questa storia prima di iniziare il mio lavoro
Marocco e Nigeria vogliono firmare entro il 2026 l’accordo per avviare il progetto del gasdotto Africa-Atlantico,
Si è conclusa a Marrakech la 26ª edizione della “Caftan Week”, manifestazione dedicata alla valorizzazione del
Il Parlamento iracheno ha approvato il nuovo governo guidato da Ali Al-Zaidi, il più giovane premier
Il progetto strategico del Marocco di diventare, entro il 2030, il primo Paese africano capace di
Il Marocco rafforza il proprio posizionamento nella filiera globale dell’idrogeno verde con il lancio a Casablanca
Esperti indipendenti delle Nazioni Unite per i diritti umani hanno espresso forte preoccupazione per quella che