Swiss woman indicted over ‘extremist knife attack’ – Swiss prosecutors said Wednesday they had indicted a woman for attempted murder on behalf of Daesh group over a brutal knife attack in November 2020.
The 29-year-old unnamed woman allegedly attacked two women in a department store in the southern city of Lugano.
She has been charged with attempted murder and violating laws against association with Al-Qaeda, Daesh and related groups, according to the indictment. She was also charged with unlawful prostitution.
The attorney general’s office said the indictment related to an ‘extremist knife attack’ and the alleged assailant, a Swiss citizen, “intended to kill her victims and to commit a terrorist act on behalf of Daesh.”
“The suspect acted willfully and with particular ruthlessness. She brutally attacked her randomly-selected victims with a knife, with the aim of killing them and thereby spreading terror throughout the population on behalf of the ‘Daesh’,” it said.
One of the two victims sustained serious neck injuries while the second victim, with help from others at the scene, managed to overpower her attacker and hold her until police arrived.
The attacker was arrested and detained.
Police quickly discovered she had been linked to a 2017 jihadism investigation.
The woman had formed a relationship on social media with an extremist fighter in Syria and attempted to travel to the war-torn country to meet him, police alleged at the time.
She was stopped by Turkish authorities at the Syrian border and sent back to Switzerland, they said, adding that the woman had suffered from mental health problems and been admitted to a psychiatric clinic.
Swiss woman indicted over ‘extremist knife attack’

Latest from Blog
Di Souad Sbai Per oltre quarantotto ore, televisioni e grandi testate nazionali, comprese RaiNews, la Repubblica
«L’obbiettivo è trasformare la conoscenza medica in un bene comune». Appuntamento di alto rilievo istituzionale al
Serata storica all’Eurovision Song Contest 2026: la Bulgaria ha conquistato per la prima volta il celebre
“Alla fine, non sapevo molto dei dettagli di questa storia prima di iniziare il mio lavoro
Marocco e Nigeria vogliono firmare entro il 2026 l’accordo per avviare il progetto del gasdotto Africa-Atlantico,
Si è conclusa a Marrakech la 26ª edizione della “Caftan Week”, manifestazione dedicata alla valorizzazione del
Il Parlamento iracheno ha approvato il nuovo governo guidato da Ali Al-Zaidi, il più giovane premier
Il progetto strategico del Marocco di diventare, entro il 2030, il primo Paese africano capace di
Il Marocco rafforza il proprio posizionamento nella filiera globale dell’idrogeno verde con il lancio a Casablanca
Esperti indipendenti delle Nazioni Unite per i diritti umani hanno espresso forte preoccupazione per quella che