Sri Lanka president’s office to reopen after crackdown – Sri Lanka’s besieged presidential office will reopen on Monday, police said, days after anti-government demonstrators were flushed out in a military crackdown that triggered international condemnation.
The colonial-era building was occupied earlier this month by protesters angered by the island nation’s unprecedented economic crisis.
Soldiers rescued then-president Gotabaya Rajapaksa from his nearby residence before it was overrun by an angry crowd the same day, with the leader eventually fleeing to Singapore and resigning.
Troops armed with batons and automatic weapons cleared the presidential secretariat shortly after midnight Friday on the orders of Rajapaksa’s successor, Ranil Wickremesinghe.
At least 48 people were wounded and nine arrested in the operation, during which security forces tore down tents set up by protesters outside the complex earlier this year.
“The office is ready for reopening from Monday,” a police official told AFP on Sunday, adding that forensics experts had visited the office to gather evidence of damage by protesters.
“The siege of the secretariat, which lasted since May 9, has now been lifted.”
Western governments, the United Nations and human rights groups have condemned Wickremesinghe for using violence against unarmed protesters who had announced their intention to vacate the site later on Friday.
Police spokesman Nihal Talduwa said protesters were free to continue their demonstrations at a designated site near the presidential office.
“They can remain at the official protest site. The government may even open a few more places for demonstrators in the city,” Talduwa said Sunday.
The military operation to clear the secretariat building and its immediate surroundings came less than 24 hours after Wickremesinghe was sworn in and just before a new cabinet was appointed.
Wickremesinghe was elected by legislators on Wednesday to replace Rajapaksa, who fled to Singapore and resigned after demonstrators chased him from his palace.
Sri Lanka president’s office to reopen after crackdown

Latest from Blog
Il Dipartimento Pari Opportunità Nazionale della Lega, guidato dall’On. Souad Sbai annuncia “Ponte Sicuro 72 ore”,
Di Souad Sbai Ci sono lingue che sono molto più di uno strumento per comunicare. Dentro
Le autorità pubbliche del Marocco hanno adottato tutte le misure necessarie per contrastare qualsiasi tentativo di
Il 10 agosto 2026 la governatrice del Massachusetts Maura Healey ha firmato la legge H.5595, che
La Colombia ha annunciato il riconoscimento della sovranità del Marocco sul Sahara Occidentale, segnando una nuova
La presidente della Commissione europea, Ursula von der Leyen, ha elogiato la cooperazione tra Marocco e
La gestione dei flussi migratori rappresenta una responsabilità condivisa tra Paesi di origine, transito e destinazione
L’ondata di ingressi irregolari registrata negli ultimi giorni a Ceuta sarebbe stata preceduta da un’intensa campagna
Il libro, a firma Alessandro Bertoldi (Curcio Editore), propone una riflessione sulle nuove minacce che gravano
“Osservo che è un principio applicato in molti paesi europei e in alcuni stati a maggioranza